Thursday 21 June 2012

My ABCs of Travel!

Right, so I got “tagged” in this blog game by Katie (aka @MozzaLS28), and I’m actually really excited to write this... I like lists, you see; and I like travel. Combine the two and it’s practically heroin to me...

Here goes!

A: Age you went on your first international trip:
I was 2 and a half, and my parents took me to Portugal. I can remember I lost one of my favourite socks off the balcony, and the nice man at reception rescued it for me. My parents also tell me I accidentally got drunk, by topping my water glass up with white wine when they weren’t looking. I ran around like a banshee then slept for 18 hours solid. Please don’t call social services, they were ace parents...

B: Best (foreign) beer you’ve had and where:
I will always have a soft spot for Toohey’s, which I drank a lot of in Sydney, where I spent 3 booze soaked months at 18. Good times.

C: Cuisine (favourite):
Even though I’ve only spent 6 days in Thailand (and it was Bangkok, which is almost not even Thailand, it’s so unique...) I’m going to say Thai food. This is mainly due to Jino’s Thai Cafe in Leeds, which I miss more than words, and dream of often from my new home in the South of England. I don’t care if this answer is cheating, I love Jino’s.

D: Destinations, favourite, least favourite and why:
Favourite: I’ve been to places that are so different to each other it’s really hard to pick a favourite. I want to say Vietnam, but I also want to say Ibiza – see what I mean?! I declare a tie.

Least favourite: copying Josh (Katie’s hubby) here and picking Blackpool. It. Is. Just. Horrible. Sorry to anyone from Blackpool who’s reading this, but I find it tacky, dirty, and a little bit scary. Won’t go again unless I have to (I fear the “Hen Do in Blackpool” invite...)

E: Event you experienced abroad that made you say “wow”:
I recently went to South Africa, and my friends and I spent a night at a campsite somewhere between Oudtshoorn and George (Amber Lagoon) We sat at the top of a hill, beers in hand, and watched the sunset. Breathtaking.
Before the sunset...


F: Favourite mode of transportation:
Motorbike taxi in Vietnam! The first time I got one I was clinging onto the poor driver for dear life, but after a month of getting them every day I was a pro... and wouldn’t travel any other way. Even a “falling off when two of us were on the same bike with a drunk driver” incident (NOT recommended) didn’t put me off – motorbike taxis rule!


G: Greatest feeling while travelling:
That “wow, look where I am” feeling when you take a minute to reflect on what you’re doing, and how lucky you are to be doing it. It makes me want to put my arms out and spin around; it makes me feel “free.” Sorry if that sounds a bit hippy!


H: Hottest place you’ve travelled to:
I suppose technically it would be India, but actually when someone says “hot” all I think of is Finland! I went expecting it to be cold (maybe checking the weather forecast might’ve helped?!) but it was bloody boiling and I spent the entire 4 days I had there sweating, and cursing my packing choices.
Helsinki Cathedral (July 2010). Note the highly-inappropriate-for-the-weather footwear...


I: Incredible service you’ve experienced and where:
In South Africa I was lucky enough to stay at a 5 star game reserve as the guest of the owner, as the company I work for sells their trips. It was amazing – the staff were super friendly and helpful and nothing was too much. The accommodation and food was amazing too! Thanks Shakir at Kwantu Game Reserve Port Elizabeth


J: Journey that took the longest:
Technically, I guess the Australia - Singapore - England flights was the longest journey (23 hours all in), but actually the worst journey (and the one that felt the longest) was from Arinsal, Andorra back to Leeds. We had to get a 3 hour coach from Arinsal to Barcelona airport, then wait there for 4 hours, then the flight to Luton. At that point, my friends hopped in their cars and sped home, but not me. Nope, muggings here had to catch three different trains back up to Leeds, and then a taxi home. It took 18 hours from start to finish and was horrendous. I got home at 11pm, and was in work the next morning for 8.45am. Good job I’d enjoyed Arinsal...

K: Keepsake from your travels:
Oh God, all sorts. I have to get a patch to sew on my backpack (which I have named Maguire, and love far too much considering it/he is an inanimate object) and also a fridge magnet. I also save business cards, tickets etc from wherever I go and have recently started a mug collection. I admit it, I’m a souvenir geek.

L: Let-down sight, why and where:
Prague, in general. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great city, but I just didn’t get the “it’s so amazing” vibe that everyone else seems to. I think there are much better European cities you can visit – Krakow being my top choice.

M: Moment where you fell in love with travel:
I went to Canada with my Gramma when I was 16. We visited my uncle and his family, and went to Niagara Falls. I went in the Maid of the Mist boat and something in me changed then. My parents did a lot of travelling when they were young and were always telling us their tales, but I had a pretty “whatever” attitude to it until that boat trip. I went a bit mental on the boat, leaning out of the front whooping and getting drenched by spray, but it gave me the thirst for adventure, seeing new places and experiencing new things.

N: Nicest hotel you’ve stayed in:
The K West Hotel in London. I won a competition and had 3 days there, as well as a trip to the Brit Awards and all sorts of other cool stuff. I’m sure there are more swanky hotels out there, but this was impressive... and even more importantly, free!

O: Obsession—what are you obsessed with taking pictures of while traveling?
People. Preferable myself! I like people shots with cool backgrounds and am forever annoying people by demanding “smile for the camera!” They’ll thank me for it when they’re old and looking back...

P: Passport stamps, how many and from where?
Current passport has India, Vietnam, Colombia, USA, South Africa. My previous one had Canada, Thailand and Australia. So that’s 8... more needed!! Very annoying that you don’t get a stamp within Europe as a UK passport holder... :P

Q: Quirkiest attraction you’ve visited and where:
The Krakow Torture Museum. Papier mache people in various torture poses. Weird; but awesome.
Best museum ever! Krakow, September 2009



R: Recommended sight, event or experience:
Trekking in Sapa, Vietnam. Bizarrely, I loved this, even though I hate physical excursion of any kind! It’s totally stunning, and staying in a homestay during the trip made it even better. I worte a blog about it...
http://rachel-watson.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/trekking-in-sapa-vietnam.html

S: Splurge; something you have no problem forking over money for while traveling:
I’m going to cheat, and say travel itself. Even if I’m skint, I can find some money (or credit... whoops) for a flight somewhere. Long live the budget airline...

T: Touristy thing you’ve done:
Empire State Building, New York. Huge queues of tourist in novelty headgear are not my idea of fun, but it had to be done. 2 people got engaged at the top – cheese-tastic.

U: Unforgettable travel memory:
Niagara Falls, the Maid in the Mist boat ride. For all the reasons I explained earlier, and because it’s awesome.

V: Visas, how many and for where?
India, Australia and Vietnam, although the “visa on arrival” for South Africa, Colombia, Canada, Thailand and USA count too, right?

W: Wine, best glass of wine while travelling and where?
I don’t like wine, it makes me go mental. But I did enjoy a nice glass of champagne on a cruise to the Knysna Heads in South Africa with my friends Jenny and Honor. Lovely.



X: eXcellent view and from where?:
The top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, at sunset.

Y: Years spent traveling?:
Consecutively, zero. Longest time I’ve been away is 3 months, the rest of my trips have been shorter affairs, fitted around work (boo!)

Z: Zealous sports fans and where?:
I think sports fans are crazy everywhere! I’m sticking local and saying my beloved West Bromwich Albion, when we made it to Wembley a few years ago. Boing Boing!!

My dad, friend Niamh and brother David at Wembley, April 2008.


I was right, I did enjoy that :) So now I have to tag someone and get them to do the same... over to you @tomgrapes

3 comments:

  1. I've only got halfway through so far and I have comments:

    *That Hamburg trip was unforgettable.
    *Jinos does rule
    *You should put a link to Kawntu website where you've referenced it, will be a good thing in many ways x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked blog lovely, long live the passion for travel, we might as well be dead without it x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Link added :) And thanks! Long Live The Passion (capitals intentional) xxx

    ReplyDelete