Wednesday 13 June 2012

A Lovely Island

This time last year, I was in San Antonio, Ibiza. It was my ninth visit, and I was happy to be back :) So, I figured now was as good a time as any to post this piece that I found in the depths of my parents' computer, which I wrote way back in 2008...

My most recent, and indeed my most frequent holiday destination is San Antonio in the Balearic Isle of Ibiza. I’ve been to San An, as it is affectionately known, several times now and as such feel suitably qualified to comment on the town! Not normally someone to return to the same place twice I usually take a “been there, seen that” attitude to picking a holiday spot, preferring to try new countries and experiences and tick as many places off my “yet to visit” list as possible. San Antonio changed that for me, and I will continue to go back there as long as they’ll have me! My most recent visit, in June this year, was no different to my previous six holidays there, and I enjoyed a fantastic, memorable break.

Before I talk about the many positive factors that make Ibiza such a great holiday destination, I feel I should address the negative reputation associated with San Antonio, which has built up since the 1990’s thanks mainly to the cable television series Ibiza Uncovered. This programme saw hordes of drunken teenagers staggering around the West End area of the town downing cheap, day-glow cocktails, taking drugs, having sex and generally behaving in a manner that certainly did not paint them in a positive light! While I am in no way suggesting that this sort of thing doesn’t happen, I am at pains to point out that certainly not everyone who visits San Antonio is looking for this kind of holiday.

Personally, I enjoy the more relaxed side of San Antonio. The Sunset Strip, a long stretch of bars and restaurants on the coast of San Antonio, offers an unmissable chance to watch a beautiful sunset while sipping a champagne cocktail and listening to chill out music. The people who frequent these bars are not interested in free vodka shot offers or cheesy chat-up lines; they’re there to enjoy a nice drink and good conversation in a picturesque setting. There is no better start to an evening than watching the sun set over the Mediterranean Sea before slowly wandering down to a livelier bar on the town’s main front. My personal favourite is Bar M, the pre-party venue of the famous club night Manumission**. Bar M is a glass-walled bar boasting a stage which has played host to some of the world’s top bands and DJ’s. The upstairs balcony has fantastic views of the bay and is a welcome alternative to the sweaty, beer soaked West End bars just a few hundred yards away.

Another misconception about Ibiza is that it only caters for fans of dance and house music. While I will admit that this genre is the more prevalent, it is by no means the only option. As a self-confessed “rock chick” I could direct you to some fantastic venues playing rock and indie music, where I can all but guarantee a fantastic night. There are also venues catering for fans of R ‘n’ B, hip-hop, seventies, country and many more. Even the major “Super clubs” have started offering a wider range of music, with different events held throughout each week.

I also feel that it’s important for me to mention how safe I feel in San Antonio. The majority of my visits to Ibiza have been with a female friend, and as a duo of young women we have never felt intimidated or threatened in any way. The streets of San Antonio are well lit and easy to navigate, and there is always a police presence to put you at ease. Everyone working in the bars, clubs and hotels is friendly and helpful and behaves in a professional manner. In the six years I’ve been visiting San Antonio I can only recall one incident in which the police had to intervene, and have never been subjected to anything more than harmless banter from anyone I’ve encountered. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of my nights out in the UK!

As well as being a fantastic town in it’s own right, San Antonio is the perfect base for exploring Ibiza and all this unique island has to offer. From the hippy markets of Las Dalias and Puntra Arabi and the celebrity haunt and beautiful beaches of Formentera Island during the day, to the world famous Super clubs Pacha and Space at night, there really is something for everybody here.

 I would recommend Ibiza to my best friend, my boss or my grandmother and be confident they could all find something to love about it. I have been going since the age of twenty, and hope to still be going at 90. I had an amazing time this June and can’t wait to get out there again next year. Ibiza, and San Antonio in particular, will always have a special place in my heart.

**2012 update: Bar M is now known as the Ibiza Rocks Bar. It's still awesome.


Sunset from Bar Mambo. Never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment